Junior Communications Officer
LOCATION: Menlo Park, CA (preferred) or Washington, D.C.
PROGRAM AREA: Communications
The Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, health journalism and communication, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues.
The Foundation is seeking a qualified candidate for a Junior Communications Officer position to assist with media relations and other communications activities, with specific emphasis on the topics of health reform, public opinion, and women’s health policy.
The Junior Communications Officer will report to the Foundation’s Vice President for Communications based in its Menlo Park, CA headquarters in the Office of the President and will work closely with other communications and policy staff. The successful candidate will work in a team environment on all aspects of communications related to the Foundation’s health policy work.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Communicating with national/international, regional and specialty media, including broadcast, media to promote the Foundation’s work.
• Drafting and editing media materials for use in announcements of Foundation research and products.
• Writing promotional content for and posting content to the Foundation’s website (kff.org) and social media networks.
• Cultivating and strengthening relationships with reporters, editorial writers, columnists and broadcast media; generating press coverage through successful pitching.
• Handling media inquiries and developing and maintaining media outreach lists.
• Coordinating and executing press conferences, briefings and follow-up amplification.
• Monitoring news coverage of Foundation and external events, with an eye toward opportunities for promotion of the Foundation’s work.
• Assisting in the identification, evaluation, and implementation of new technologies to further the Foundation’s communications activities.
Minimum Desired Experience and Skills:
• At least three years of experience in media relations, including working with print and broadcast reporters.
• Experience coordinating news briefings and conferences.
• Knowledge of and passion for domestic U.S. health policy issues and the workings of Congress and the Executive Branch.
• Exceptional organizational, writing and editing skills, with an emphasis on writing for the web.
• Familiarity with research, data analysis and presentation. Data visualization skills a plus.
• Ability to handle a high volume of work and function in a fast-paced environment.
• Knowledge of web-based communications tools, content-management systems, and social media platforms; Experience with WordPress, HubSpot and HTML a plus.
• Exceptional interpersonal communication and time-management skills.
• Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
To apply for this position please submit a cover letter, resume, and references as separate attachments to email@example.com. Please label your documents “Last Name_First Name Document Title”. Please write “Junior Communication Officer” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please.
HR- Junior Communications Officer
The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
2400 Sand Hill Road
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Fax: (650) 854-8037
Equal Opportunity Employer