The Health of Safety-Net Hospitals: How are They Faring? What’s the Outlook?
The Alliance for Health Reform and The Commonwealth Fund discusses the critical role of safety-net hospitals in providing care to vulnerable populations. Panelists will explore such questions as: Who does the safety-net system currently serve and how will this patient mix change as the health reform law plays out? How are safety-net hospitals faring in the current economic environment and how are they altering the way they provide care? How are states and safety-net systems planning for the challenges and opportunities presented under PPACA when its major provisions become effective, starting in 2014 ? What are some policy options for sustaining financial viability of safety-net hospitals in the short-term and long-term?The panel is co-moderated by Ed Howard and Pamela Riley of Commonwealth.
For more information, please visit the Alliance’s event page.
Speakers for this session:
The panel was moderated by Ed Howard of the Alliance and Pamela Riley of The Commonwealth Fund.
- Patrick Conway, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Billy Millwee, Texas Medicaid Director
- Arthur Gianelli, NuHealth System, Nassau County, NY
- Deborah Bachrach, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips
also of interest
- How Are Hospitals Faring Under the Affordable Care Act? Early Experiences from Ascension Health
- Evolving Picture of Nine Safety-Net Hospitals: Implications of the ACA and Other Strategies
- Strategies in 4 Safety-Net Hospitals to Adapt to the ACA
- How Do Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) Payments Change Under the ACA?