The House Appropriations Committee released the FY 2012 State and Foreign Operations Appropriations bill.Â The proposed bill includes funding for the U.S. Global Health Initiative (GHI) of $7.1 billion from the Global Health and Child Survival (GHCS) Account, which is $1.6 billion below the Presidentâ€™s FY 2012 budget request of $8.7 billion and approximately $700 million below FY 2011 levels of $7.8 billion for the GHCS (additional funding for the GHI is provided through other spending bills).Â Funding for family planning/reproductive health is capped in the bill at $461 million from all accounts compared to $769 million in the Presidentâ€™s FY 2012 budget request and $615 million in FY 2011.Â The bill would also reinstate the Global Gag Rule and prohibit the provision of any funding to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).Â
Timeline of the bill:
- Released by the House Appropriations Committee on July 26, 2011.
- Approved during markup without change or amendment by the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs on July 27, 2011.Â
Access the FY 2012 State and Foreign Operations Appropriations bill here. (PDF)
- Read Representative Hal Rogerâ€™s (R-KY, 5th â€“ Chairman) opening remarks.
- Read Representative Kay Grangerâ€™s (R-TX, 12th â€“ Chairwoman) opening remarks.
- Read Representative Norm Dicksâ€™ (D-WA, 6th â€“ Ranking Member) opening remarks.
- Read Representative Nita Loweyâ€™s (D-NY, 18th â€“ Ranking Member) opening remarks.
Statements on release of the bill:
- Read the House Appropriations Committee press release.
- Read Representative Norm Dicksâ€™ (D-WA, 6th â€“ Ranking Member) statement.
Learn more about U.S. appropriations for global health with the Kaiser Family Foundationâ€™s Budget Tracker.