In commemoration of International Women’s Day, Secretary of State John Kerry released a statement saying, among other things, that the “United States stands ready to protect and advance the health, education, and human rights of women and girls everywhere, because women’s progress is human progress.” Additionally, First Lady Michelle Obama,…
President Obama announces new Global Fund pledge and other Administration actions and statements commemorating World AIDS Day
In remarks commemorating World AIDS Day (December 1), which coincided with The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (Global Fund) 4th Replenishment Conference being held in Washington, DC, President Obama announced that the U.S. would “contribute $1 for every $2 pledged by other donors over the next three years,…
In commemoration of International Women’s Day, the White House released a statement from President Obama summarizing, among other things, U.S. efforts to ensure that women and girls are at the center of U.S. food security initiatives and global health programs. Additionally, First Lady Michelle Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry provided remarks during the Seventh Annual…
The White House released a statement from President Obama commemorating World AIDS Day (December 1, 2012). Additionally, the President signed a Presidential Proclamation recommitting the U.S. “to preventing the spread of this disease, fighting the stigma associated with infection, and ending this pandemic once and for all,” and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced…
Secretary Clinton announces new U.S. Water Partnership; Administration actions and resources commemorating World Water Day
During a speech commemorating World Water Day, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced the launch of the U.S. Water Partnership (USWP), a public-private partnership that, according to a State Department press release, “seeks to mobilize U.S.-based knowledge, expertise and resources to improve water security around the world – particularly in those countries most in need.” The State Department also released a fact sheet providing details about the partnership.
Additional Administration actions and resources commemorating World Water Day:
- USAID press release titled “USAID Celebrates 2012 World Water Day“
- USAID Fact Sheet titled “U.S. Government and World Bank Implement Cooperation in Water Sector“
- USAID IMPACTblog post titled “World Water Day 2012“
- USAID Global Waters Magazine - World Water Day Edition
- Peace Corps press release titled “Peace Corps Recognizes World Water Day“
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) – “Announcement: World Water Day – March 22, 2012“
- Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) fact sheet titled “MCC’s Commitment to Sustainable Clean Water, Sanitation and Improved Water Infrastructure” (March 19, 2012)
The Peace Corps and the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) announced the launch of a public-private partnership with Global Health Services Corps to provide training for health professionals in developing countries. According to a Peace Corps news release, “the Global Health Service Partnership (GHSP) will address health professional shortages by investing in capacity and building support for existing medical and nursing education programs in less developed countries.”
President Obama announces new global HIV treatment and prevention goals; Administration statements and resources commemorating World AIDS Day
President Barack Obama provided remarks at a World AIDS Day event hosted by ONE and (RED) at the George Washington University and issued a presidential proclamation to commemorate World AIDS Day. During his remarks, President Obama announced new treatment and prevention goals of “providing anti-retroviral drugs to more than 1.5 million HIV-positive pregnant women over the next two years . . . [and] helping 6 million people get treatment by the end of 2013” – an increase of 2 million over the prior target, and called on countries to fulfill their commitments to The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
- The White House also released a fact sheet titled “The Beginning of the End of AIDS” summarizing efforts to combat HIV/AIDS through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
- White House Blog post – “American Leadership to Reach an AIDS-Free Generation” by Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Development and Democracy Gayle Smith and U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator Ambassador Eric Goosby.
- White House Blog Post – “Getting to Zero on World AIDS Day”.
- White House Blog Post – “By the Numbers: $335“.
Additional Administration Statements and Resources Commemorating World AIDS Day:
- Statement from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on World AIDS Day.
- Statement from Ambassador Goosby on UNAIDS Global Epidemic.
- PEPFAR’s latest results.
- State Department DipNote blog post – “Artists Promote an AIDS-Free Generation in Zimbabwe”
- State Department DipNote blog post – “An AIDS-Free Generation in Reach”
Health and Human Services (HHS):
- Statement from HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on World AIDS Day. Secretary Sebelius also announced the appointment of Nancy Mahon, Executive Director of the MAC AIDS Fund, as the Chair of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA).
- Statement by National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director Dr. Francis Collins, NIH Office of AIDS Research Dr. Jack Whitescarver, and NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci.
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID):
- USAID Administrator Shah writes USAID Impact Blog post titled “World AIDS Day: New Advances Are Critical to Achieving the Vision of an AIDS-free Generation”.
- USAID Impact Blog – “Victim of Sex Trade Inspires Others to Adopt Healthy Behaviors“.
- USAID’s HIV/AIDS Timeline.
U.S. Mission to the United Nations:
- Statement from U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations Ambassador Susan E. Rice.
- Peace Corps statement commemorating World AIDS Day.
Department of Defense (DoD):
- DoD statement titled “World AIDS Day Raises Awareness, Highlights Advances”.
Department of Labor (DoL):
- DoL Secretary Hilda Solis’ statement titled “Forging Ahead on World AIDS Day”.
The Peace Corps announced a partnership with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP) to expand food security programs that will combat hunger in Peace Corps countries.
In aÂ pressÂ release, the Peace Corps and the Centers for Disease Control and PreventionÂ (CDC) announced a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) to expand collaboration on efforts to strengthen health systems in assisted countries.
The Congressional Research Service (CRS) released a report titled “State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs: FY2012 Budget and Appropriations”. According to the summary, “[t]his report analyzes the FY2012 request, including State Department, international broadcasting, and foreign aid highlights, recent-year funding trends, and congressional action related to FY2012 State-Foreign Operations legislation.”
- Area: Congress, Budget
- Information Type: Reports & Factsheets
- Organization/Initiative: GHI, USAID, MCC, FtF, State Dept., Peace Corps, CRS
- Issue/Condition: Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, Nutrition/Food Security, Water, Family Planning/Reproductive Health, Maternal & Child Health, Malaria, Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs), Pandemic Influenza