Deputy Secretary of State Jack Lew testified before the House Foreign Affair Committee on the FY 2010 International Affairs. During his testimony, Deputy Secretary Lew discussed the “principles and priorities that underlie President Obama’s international affairs budget request for 2010” including “five smart power funding objectives.” These objectives include:
1) Building civilian capacity at the Department of State and USAID;
2) Promoting long-term development and human security by addressing economic development and good governance, food security, education needs, global climate change, and global health;
3) Enhancing strategic bilateral and multilateral partnerships;
4) Strengthening global security capabilities; and
5) Maintaining the resources to respond to humanitarian needs.