The Global Health Initiative (GHI) released the second round of country strategies for Burundi, Cambodia, Georgia, Indonesia, Liberia, Mozambique, Tanzania, and Vietnam. According to the “Executive Summary: GHI Round 2 Strategies,” the country strategies serve as “high level, crosscutting documents that focus on select areas to achieve greater value and impact by applying the GHI principles” and were informed by prior efforts in the GHI Plus countries.
Reports & Factsheets
The Congressional Research Service (CRS) released a report titled “State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs: FY2012 Budget and Appropriations”. According to the summary, “[t]his report analyzes the FY2012 request, including State Department, international broadcasting, and foreign aid highlights; recent-year funding trends; and congressional action related to FY2012 State-Foreign Operations legislation.”
The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) released a cost estimate of H.R. 2059 – A bill to prohibit funding to the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA). The CBO “estimates that implementing the bill would have no effect on the federal budget.”
UPDATED – U.S. Response to the Earthquake and Hurricane in Haiti: Health and Other Emergency Efforts
The information provided below catalogues the most recent information provided by the Administration on the U.S. government response to the earthquake in Haiti.
President Obama announces new global HIV treatment and prevention goals; Administration statements and resources commemorating World AIDS Day
President Barack Obama provided remarks at a World AIDS Day event hosted by ONE and (RED) at the George Washington University and issued a presidential proclamation to commemorate World AIDS Day. During his remarks, President Obama announced new treatment and prevention goals of “providing anti-retroviral drugs to more than 1.5 million HIV-positive pregnant women over the next two years . . . [and] helping 6 million people get treatment by the end of 2013” – an increase of 2 million over the prior target, and called on countries to fulfill their commitments to The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
- The White House also released a fact sheet titled “The Beginning of the End of AIDS” summarizing efforts to combat HIV/AIDS through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
- White House Blog post – “American Leadership to Reach an AIDS-Free Generation” by Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Development and Democracy Gayle Smith and U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator Ambassador Eric Goosby.
- White House Blog Post – “Getting to Zero on World AIDS Day”.
- White House Blog Post – “By the Numbers: $335”.
Additional Administration Statements and Resources Commemorating World AIDS Day:
- Statement from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on World AIDS Day.
- Statement from Ambassador Goosby on UNAIDS Global Epidemic.
- PEPFAR’s latest results.
- State Department DipNote blog post – “Artists Promote an AIDS-Free Generation in Zimbabwe”
- State Department DipNote blog post – “An AIDS-Free Generation in Reach”
Health and Human Services (HHS):
- Statement from HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on World AIDS Day. Secretary Sebelius also announced the appointment of Nancy Mahon, Executive Director of the MAC AIDS Fund, as the Chair of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA).
- Statement by National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director Dr. Francis Collins, NIH Office of AIDS Research Dr. Jack Whitescarver, and NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci.
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID):
- USAID Administrator Shah writes USAID Impact Blog post titled “World AIDS Day: New Advances Are Critical to Achieving the Vision of an AIDS-free Generation”.
- USAID Impact Blog – “Victim of Sex Trade Inspires Others to Adopt Healthy Behaviors”.
- USAID’s HIV/AIDS Timeline.
U.S. Mission to the United Nations:
- Statement from U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations Ambassador Susan E. Rice.
- Peace Corps statement commemorating World AIDS Day.
Department of Defense (DoD):
- DoD statement titled “World AIDS Day Raises Awareness, Highlights Advances”.
Department of Labor (DoL):
- DoL Secretary Hilda Solis’ statement titled “Forging Ahead on World AIDS Day”.
The President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) released the FY 2012 Malaria Operational Plans (MOPs). These plans provide an overview of current malaria control and prevention efforts, identify challenges to meeting PMI goals, and summarize FY 2012 planned activities.
President Obama releases “National Action Plan on Women, Peace, and Security” and issues executive order directing implementation of the plan
President Obama released “United States National Action Plan on Women, Peace, and Security” and issued an executive order directing implementation of the plan. The stated goal of the plan is “to empower half the world’s population as equal partners in preventing conflict and building peace in countries threatened and affected by war, violence and insecurity.” The plan includes provisions addressing health.
- White House Fact Sheet: “The United States National Action Plan on Women, Peace, and Security”
- White House Blog: “Announcing the U.S. National Action Plan on Women, Peace, and Security”
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s remarks on women, peace, and security given at Georgetown University
- State Department DipNote Blog Post: “Women, Peace, and Security”
- USAID IMPACTblog post: “Women Peace Builders – Conducting Foreign Policy Differently”
- USAID IMPACTblog post: “Mobilizing the U.S. Government to Protect and Empower Women and Girls”
The Administration released “The United States Global Health Initiative: Strategy Document,” which includes information on the operational plan, targets, and implementation of the Global Health Initiative (GHI).
- Area: Administration
- Information Type: Reports & Factsheets
- Organization/Initiative: GHI, PEPFAR, FtF
- Issue/Condition: Tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, Women & Girls, Nutrition/Food Security, Water, Family Planning/Reproductive Health, Maternal & Child Health, Malaria, Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs), Health System Strengthening (HSS)
The U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) released a fact sheet titled “PEPFAR: Addressing Gender and HIV/AIDS,” which highlights PEPFAR’s efforts to address the impacts of HIV/AIDS on women and girls areas such gender-nased violence (GBV), prevention of mother-to-child transmission, and advocating for women, girls, and gender equality.
State Department releases fact sheet titled “U.S. Government’s Feed the Future Initiative Helps Countries Cope with Rising Food Prices”
The State Department released a fact sheet titled “U.S. Government’s Feed the Future Initiative Helps Countries Cope with Rising Food Prices” highlighting key components of the initiative to improve agricultural productivity.