U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Administrator Dr. Rajiv Shah testified before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs (April 8), Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs (April 8), House Committee on Foreign Affairs (April 9), and Senate Committee on Foreign Relations…
Events & Hearings
House Committee on Foreign Affairs holds hearing on “The First One Thousand Days: Development Aid Programs to Bolster Health and Nutrition”
The House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations held a hearing titled “The First One Thousand Days: Development Aid Programs to Bolster Health and Nutrition” with testimony from Acting Assistant to the Administrator, Bureau for Food Security, and Deputy Coordinator of…
Secretary of State John Kerry testifies before House and Senate Subcommittees on FY15 budget request
Secretary of State John Kerry testified before the House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs (March 12), Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Foreign Operations (March 13), and House Foreign Affairs Committee (March 13) on the State and Foreign Operations FY15 budget request. During opening remarks at the House…
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Director Dr. Tom Frieden testified (.pdf) before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on Africa, Global Health, Global Human Rights, and International Organizations during a hearing titled “Meeting the Challenge of Drug-Resistant Diseases in Developing Countries”. During his testimony, Director Frieden discussed CDC’s work to address…
Senate Appropriations Committee holds hearing on sequestration, releases agency letters detailing impacts
The Senate Committee on Appropriations held a hearing (webcast available) titled “The Impacts of Sequestration” and released letters from U.S. government agencies detailing the impacts of sequestration including a letter (.pdf) from Secretary of State John Kerry, which states that global health funding would be cut by over “$400 million, gravely impeding our efforts to…
During a hearing held by the Senate Foreign Relations International Development Subcommittee titled “Evaluating Current U.S. Global Food Security Efforts and Determining Future U.S. Leadership Opportunities,” Feed the Future (FtF) Deputy Coordinator for Development Tjada McKenna testified on U.S. efforts through FtF to address food security and undernutrition issues.
During the XIX International AIDS Conference, held in Washington, DC between July 22 and July 27, the Administration provided numerous resources, including blog posts and factsheets, summarizing the U.S. response to HIV/AIDS. Additionally, numerous Administration officials participated in the Conference including Secretary of state Hillary Clinton, Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius; U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator Ambassador Eric Goosby; and National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Dr. Anthony Fauci. A summary of Administration resources and speeches is provided below.
President Obama provided a video message welcoming the XIX International AIDS Conference attendees. The White house also released several fact sheets on HIV/AIDS surrounding the conference.
- HIV/AIDS Prevention
- HIV/AIDS Treatment
- The Global AIDS Epidemic
- HIV/AIDS-Related Stigma and Discrimination
During remarks at the opening session of the XIX International AIDS Conference, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton discussed efforts to shift the Presidents Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) from an emergency response to one that builds “sustainable health systems that will help us finally win this fight and deliver an AIDS-free generation.” Secretary Clinton also announced an additional $80 million to address mother to child transmission of HIV and an additional $37 million dedicated to new efforts to reach key populations.
U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator Ambassador Eric Goosby participated in a panel discussion where he discussed efforts to improve aid efficiency and effectiveness in the HIV response. During a State Department event titled “Turning the Tide for Women and Girls: A Dialogue on Gender and the HIV Response,” Ambassador Eric Goosby announced that $5 million from PEPFAR would be provided to Together for Girls, “a partnership between public, private, UN and U.S. Government agencies that addresses violence against children.”
- PEPFAR Launches Labs For Life with Partners, a $20 million partnership to “to help strengthen healthcare and laboratory systems in the developing world.”
- Progress on Achieving an AIDS-Free Generation
USAID participated in various events at the XIX International AIDS Conference including a satellite event that featured discussion of “the challenges and solutions to Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) for HIV prevention in East and Southern Africa.”
Secretary Kathleen Sebelius provided remarks at the opening session of the XIX International AIDS Conference and announced a series of innovative public-private partnerships to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic. Secretary Sebelius also provided remarks at a State Department event titled “Turning the Tide for Women and Girls: A Dialogue on Gender and the HIV Response.”
During a plenary session at the XIX International AIDS Conference, National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Dr. Anthony Fauci discussed the scientific advancements of the HIV/AIDS response. NIH also presented the latest AIDS research including treatment as prevention and the dapivirine vaginal ring.
- Several White House officials provided video messages describing “How Far We’ve Come on AIDS”
- Dr. Jill Biden Views the AIDS Memorial Quilt
- AIDS Memorial Quilt in the White House
- Trade and Access to Medicines: Working to Make the Two Go Hand in Hand
- Ask the Expert: Administrator Shah on the AIDS fight
- African Leaders Call for Scale up Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision in East and Southern Africa
- The Journey of Life for Children Living with HIV – From Diagnosis to Adulthood
- From Evidence to Action: What Works for Women and Girls
- Social Media and Mobile @ AIDS 2012
- USG @ AIDS 2012: How to Talk About a “Cure”
- AIDS 2012: HIV in Gay and Bisexual Men
- USG @ AIDS 2012 Video: Dr. Koh and Ambassador Goosby
- The Global Perspective on HIV/AIDS and Mental Health
- 25 Years of HIV/AIDS Training has Transformed the Research Landscape
- USG @ AIDS 2012 Video: Dr. Koh and Dr. Daulaire
- Answering the Call to Action with Science
- USG at AIDS 2012: Video with Dr. Anthony Fauci
- Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton Addresses AIDS 2012
- Secretary Sebelius Addresses Opening Session of AIDS 2012
- AIDS 2012: Measuring Progress by Lives Saved
- A Historical Perspective on the International AIDS Conference
- US Leads Effort to Build on Success in HIV Vaccine Science
- AIDS 2012 and HRSA
- Peace Corps Volunteers Contribute to Sustainable Responses to the HIV/AIDS Epidemic
- New Media Sessions and Activities at AIDS 2012
- NIH Leadership at the XIX International AIDS Conference
- AIDS 2012: Listening, Learning and Working Together to Help Turn the Tide
- Our Research in Kenya: Finding Ways to Improve HIV Treatment Access and Outcomes
- Making Every Dollar Count in the Fight against Global HIV/AIDS
Department of Labor:
- Area: Administration
- Information Type: Statements & Speeches, Events & Hearings, Reports & Factsheets, Announcement
- Organization/Initiative: PEPFAR, USAID, State Dept., White House, HHS, NIH, CDC, DoL
- Issue/Condition: HIV/AIDS, Women & Girls, Maternal & Child Health, Health System Strengthening (HSS)
Senate Committee on Appropriations hearing on the FY13 Budget Request for the National Institutes of Health
The Senate Committee on Appropriations, Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education will hold a hearing on the FY 2013 budget request for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) with testimony from NIH Director Francis Collins. The hearing will be held on Wednesday, March 26, 2012 at 10:00 am in room 124 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.
The Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) will host its quarterly town hall meeting on Friday, March 23, 2012 at 10:00 am where the following topics will be discussed:
- The proposed Zambia Compact and its water and sanitation project;
- Status of the Malawi Compact; and
- A revised Threshold Program with Niger.
Learn more and RSVP to the event here.
House Committee on Foreign Affairs hearing titled “The Fiscal Year 2013 Budget: A Review of U.S. Foreign Assistance Amidst Economic Uncertainty”
The House Committee on Foreign Affairs will hold a hearing titled “The Fiscal Year 2013 Budget: A Review of U.S. Foreign Assistance Amidst Economic Uncertainty” with testimony from U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) Administrator Dr. Rajiv Shah. The hearing will be held on Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM in Room 2172 of the Rayburn House Office Building.