Medicaid Enrollment: June 2013 Data Snapshot
In June 2013, over 28 million children were enrolled in Medicaid. As reported for other groups, enrollment growth fell to a post-recessionary low at less than one percent (0.9%.) During this period, an additional 252,000 children were enrolled in the program compared to one year earlier. Nearly 80 percent of this growth occurred in four states (Colorado, Florida, New York, and South Carolina.) (Figure 12) Three of these states implemented policy changes that likely contributed to their enrollment growth among children.1
- Colorado reported an additional 45,200 children were enrolled in Medicaid in June 2013 compared to one year earlier. This was likely driven in part by the implementation of Express Lane Eligibility for children in early 2013 along with additional enrollment simplifications implemented in FY 2012.
- New York saw an additional 33,000 children enrolled in Medicaid during this same period. Growth among children may have been driven by the implementation of express lane eligibility at renewal for children in 2012.2 The state also received approval to implement 12 month continuous eligibility for several groups, including children and adults, in April 2013.3
- South Carolina saw an additional 68,700 individuals enrolled in this group during this period. The state expanded their use of express lane eligibility for children at application in FY 2013.
During the period from June 2012 to June 2013, 17 states saw declines in enrollment among children. (Figure 13) However, the declines were relatively small, most under one percentage point. This is due in part to the fact that eligibility levels and enrollment procedures for children in Medicaid and CHIP have been preserved due to the maintenance of eligibility (MOE) requirements; these requirements will remain in effect for children until 2019.Non-Disabled, Non-Elderly Adults Aged and Disabled
also of interest
- Medicaid Enrollment Under the Affordable Care Act: Understanding the Numbers
- CHIP Enrollment: June 2013 Data Snapshot
- The Many Roads to Medicaid: An Overview of How People are Connecting to the Program Today
- Monthly Medicaid Enrollment (in thousands)- June
- Percent Change in Monthly Medicaid Enrollment- June
- Monthly Medicaid Enrollment for Non-Elderly, Non-Disabled Adults and Children (in thousands)- June
- Monthly Medicaid Enrollment for the Elderly and People with Disabilities (in thousands)- June