White House releases FY 2011 Budget
The White House released the FY 2011 budget request, which included the following funding totals for the U.S. Global Health Initiative (GHI) and other global health and related activities:
Global Health Initiative (GHI) total: $9.572 billion, including
- $8.513 billion from State & Foreign Operations Global Health & Child Survival (GHCS) account, and
- $1.059 billion from HHS, DoD, and other State & Foreign Operations accounts.
- PEPFAR: Included in the GHI total is $6.990 billion for PEPFAR of which $1 billion is for the Global Fund ($700 million from the State Department and $300 million from HHS).
Additional funding details on the GHI and other global health related accounts:
State and Foreign Operations funding for global health:
- Global Health & Child Survival (GHCS): $8.513 billion
– USAID: $3.013 billion
– Maternal Health & Child Health/Nutrition: $900.0 million
– Maternal & Child Health: $700.0 million
- Nutrition: $200.0
– Vulnerable Children: $15.0 million
- HIV/AIDS: $350.0 million
- Family Planning/Reproductive Health: $590.0 million
- Other Infectious Diseases: $1,158.0 million, which includes
– Malaria: $680.0 million,
- Tuberculosis: $230.0 million ,
- Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs): $155.0 million,
- Pandemic Influenza and Other Emerging Threats: $75 million, and
- Other Public Health Threats: $18 million.
– Department of State: $5.500 billion
– HIV/AIDS: $5.500 billion (includes $700 million for the Global Fund)
– Millennium Challenge Corporation: $1.280 billion
Health and Human Services funding for global health:
- CDC ($351.9 total):
– Global AIDS Program: $118.1 million
- Global Immunization Program: $152.8 million
- Global Disease Detection: $37.8 million
- Global Malaria Program: $9.2 million
- Other Global Health: $35.1 million
– Global Fund: $300.0 million
- Fogarty International: $73.0 million
White House: Learn more about the FY 2011 budgetÂ at the White House Office of Management and Budget (OMB)Â here.
State Department and United States Agency for International Development (USAID):
- Access the State Department and International Operations Congressional Budget Justifications (CBJ)Â here.
- Access comments by Jack Lew, Deputy Secretary for Management and Resources, on the FY11 budget here.
- Access PEPFAR’s funding fact sheet here. (PDF)
Health and Human Services:
- Access more information about the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) budget here.
- Access information on the National Institutes of Health budget here.
- Access the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Congressional Budget Justifications (CBJ) here.
Budget Tracker: View global healthÂ funding totals for FY 2010 using Kaiser Family Foundation’s “Budget Tracker: Status of U.S. Funding for Key Global Health Accounts” here.