President Obama announces new global HIV treatment and prevention goals; Administration statements and resources commemorating World AIDS Day
President Barack Obama provided remarks at a World AIDS Day event hosted by ONE and (RED) at the George Washington University and issued a presidential proclamation to commemorate World AIDS Day. During his remarks, President Obama announced new treatment and prevention goals of “providing anti-retroviral drugs to more than 1.5 million HIV-positive pregnant women over the next two years . . . [and] helping 6 million people get treatment by the end of 2013” – an increase of 2 million over the prior target, and called on countries to fulfill their commitments to The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
- The White House also released a fact sheet titled “The Beginning of the End of AIDS” summarizing efforts to combat HIV/AIDS through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR).
- White House Blog post – “American Leadership to Reach an AIDS-Free Generation” by Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for Development and Democracy Gayle Smith and U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator Ambassador Eric Goosby.
- White House Blog Post – “Getting to Zero on World AIDS Day”.
- White House Blog Post – “By the Numbers: $335”.
Additional Administration Statements and Resources Commemorating World AIDS Day:
- Statement from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on World AIDS Day.
- Statement from Ambassador Goosby on UNAIDS Global Epidemic.
- PEPFAR’s latest results.
- State Department DipNote blog post – “Artists Promote an AIDS-Free Generation in Zimbabwe”
- State Department DipNote blog post – “An AIDS-Free Generation in Reach”
Health and Human Services (HHS):
- Statement from HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius on World AIDS Day. Secretary Sebelius also announced the appointment of Nancy Mahon, Executive Director of the MAC AIDS Fund, as the Chair of the Presidential Advisory Council on HIV/AIDS (PACHA).
- Statement by National Institutes of Health (NIH) Director Dr. Francis Collins, NIH Office of AIDS Research Dr. Jack Whitescarver, and NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci.
U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID):
- USAID Administrator Shah writes USAID Impact Blog post titled “World AIDS Day: New Advances Are Critical to Achieving the Vision of an AIDS-free Generation”.
- USAID Impact Blog – “Victim of Sex Trade Inspires Others to Adopt Healthy Behaviors”.
- USAID’s HIV/AIDS Timeline.
U.S. Mission to the United Nations:
- Statement from U.S. Permanent Representative to the United Nations Ambassador Susan E. Rice.
- Peace Corps statement commemorating World AIDS Day.
Department of Defense (DoD):
- DoD statement titled “World AIDS Day Raises Awareness, Highlights Advances”.
Department of Labor (DoL):
- DoL Secretary Hilda Solis’ statement titled “Forging Ahead on World AIDS Day”.