“PEPFAR Stewardship and Oversight Act” introduced in Senate
Senators Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Bob Corker (R-TN) introduced the “PEPFAR Stewardship and Oversight Act” (S.1545). According to a press release from the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, the proposed legislation extends existing authorities and strengthens oversight of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through the following provisions:
- Requiring the State Department, U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Inspectors General to coordinator on oversight and audit plans;
- Extending per-patient cost study reporting requirements;
- Extending the 33% cap on U.S. contributions to the Global Fund;
- Updating annual PEPFAR reporting requirements; and
- Extending funding requirements for the treatment of orphans and vulnerable children.