Administration statements and actions during the 2014 International AIDS Conference
During the 20th International AIDS Conference, held in Melbourne, Australia, from July 20-25, the Administration provided numerous resources, including blog posts and video interviews, summarizing the U.S. response to HIV/AIDS. A summary of Administration announcements, resources, and speeches is provided below.
President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
Ambassador Deborah Birx, U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator, introduced the “PEPFAR Dashboards”, which aims “to enable all stakeholders, including U.S. citizens, civil society organizations, U.S. government agencies, donors, and host-country governments, to view and utilize PEPFAR planned budgets, program results, and expenditure analysis data in an accessible and easy-to-use format.”
Additional PEPFAR Resources:
- Statement from Ambassador Birx on Extension of Medicines Patent Pool’s License with Gilead Sciences to Include Tenofovir Alafenamide (TAF).
- Summary of PEPFAR’s involvement at the International AIDS Conference 2014.
- Statement by the Office of the U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator on MH17.
United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
USAID announced the awarding of over $500 million in support of three new programs aimed at reaching an AIDS-free generation. Funded through the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), “the new programs support implementation of the ‘PEPFAR Blueprint: Creating an AIDS-Free Generation’ to expand evidence-based HIV interventions, reach and serve populations at greatest risk, and strengthen shared responsibility among all of those affected by HIV and AIDS.”
Additional USAID Resources:
- USAID Impact Blog: “Five Takeaways from AIDS 2014”
- Summary of USAID’s involvement at the International AIDS Conference 2014
- USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah’s statement on MH17 crash.
U.S. Department of State
- State Department’s DipNote blog: “AIDS 2014: A Week of Heartbreak, Hope, and Renewed Commitment”
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NIH Director Anthony Fauci discusses key challenges in HIV scientific discovery.
- Statement by NIH Director Anthony Fauci on MH17.