Public Education Partnerships: MTV: Get Yourself Tested
1 in 2 sexually active young people will get a sexually transmitted disease (STD) by age 25. And of the approximately 19 million new cases of STDs that occur every year in the United States, most will go undiagnosed. The only way to know for sure if you have an STD is to GYT: Get Yourself Talking, Get Yourself Tested.
The GYT campaign is a youthful, empowering social movement to reduce the spread of STDs among young people through information, open communication with partners, health care providers, and parents, and testing and treatment as needed.
Public Service Ads – Watch!
- Special Promotions
GYT launched in 2009 as an extension of a longstanding public information partnership between MTV and the Kaiser Family Foundation. It is supported by a broad range of organizations including the CDC, Planned Parenthood Federation of America, the National Coalition of STD Directors (NCSD), American College Health Association (ACHA), ASHA (American Social Health Association), the National Chlamydia Coalition (NCC), and various state and local health departments, colleges and universities, and other community groups and non-profits. Gilead Sciences, Inc. provides support and resources for select elements of the campaign. CDC provided assistance to ensure scientific accuracy of GYT health information.
GYT is on-air, online, and even on your mobile phone – users can text their zip code to GYTNOW (498669) to find a nearby STD testing center. On the ground, the campaign is promoted in Planned Parenthood health centers and other clinics, in communities, and on campuses across the country.
GYT runs year round, with significant promotions in April, National STD Testing Awareness Month. Special incentives and materials have been developed to encourage young people to visit Planned Parenthood health centers and other participating clinics to get tested.
- Results: STD Testing Doubles at Many Planned Parenthood Clinics During April
- Background: Sexually Transmitted Diseases (CDC)
- Surveillance: STDs in Adolescents and Youth Adults (CDC)
- Survey: Teens and Young Adults on HIV/AIDS (KFF)
- Fast Facts: STD Fact Sheet (CDC)
- 2010 Web Health Award for GYT: Get Yourself Tested
- 2009 Beacon Award for GYT: Get Yourself Tested
- 2009 Joel A. Berger Award for GYT: Get Yourself Tested
- 2009 Platinum Creativity Award for GYT: Get Yourself Tested
For more information, please email GYTnow@kff.org.
also of interest
- Survey Of Current And Recent College Students On Sexual Assault
- Kaiser Family Foundation/New York Times/CBS News Non-Employed Poll
- Visualizing Health Policy: The Washington Post/Kaiser Family Foundation Survey of Iraq and Afghanistan Active Duty Soldiers and Veterans
- New York Times Upshot/Kaiser Family Foundation Polls in Four Southern States