Research Assistant, Public Opinion and Survey Research
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Status: Full-Time; Non-Exempt
Program Area: Public Opinion and Survey Research
The Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. The Foundation serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
The Foundation is seeking a qualified candidate for a Research Assistant assisting with various aspects of public opinion and survey research projects. The Public Opinion and Survey Research Group plays a central role in the Foundation’s work by undertaking original research on the public’s attitudes, beliefs, and experiences related to health and social policy issues. Working independently or in partnership with major national media organizations including The Washington Post, The New York Times, and CNN, the group examines Americans’ opinions on major health and social policy challenges in order to amplify the public’s voice in national debates.
The Research Assistant must be able to work under tight deadlines, manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, and be a team player. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent college graduate or someone with 1-2 years of work experience to learn the survey research ropes from an experienced and well-respected team of public opinion researchers.
This full-time position will be based in the Foundation’s Menlo Park, California office. Competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare graphs, tables, and other visual presentations of data for written reports and staff presentations;
- Proofread and prepare research reports for publication on the web;
- Track news coverage related to health policy;
- Participate in the design of survey questionnaires;
- Perform basic data analyses of survey data;
- Perform background research and literature reviews;
- Plan and coordinate meetings; and
- Oversee archiving all survey projects.
Minimum Required Expertise and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; 1-2 years’ experience working in a related field a plus;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Must have strong quantitative skills as well as strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience preparing charts and other graphical representations of data;
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly PowerPoint, as well as Word and Excel;
- Familiarity with web content publishing software (specifically WordPress), a plus;
- Familiarity with SPSS or other statistical analysis software, a plus; and
- Familiarity with, and interest, in key issues in health care, politics, and social policy, preferred.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please send resume, cover letter, contact information for three references, and a writing sample, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please label your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and write “Research Assistant” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please. Equal Opportunity Employer.