Reporting Internship, Kaiser Health News
Location: Washington, DC or Sacramento, CA
Status: Full-time; Paid
Term: Summer 2017
Program Area: Kaiser Health News
The Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, and health journalism, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. The Foundation serves as a nonpartisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
Kaiser Health News (KHN) is an editorially independent program of the Foundation. With staff and freelance reporters, columnists, editors, photographers, web producers and videographers, KHN is committed to in-depth reporting on health policy news. KHN provides this coverage on khn.org as well as in partnership with other news organizations, including NPR, The Washington Post, PBS, USA Today, CNN, and a host of other media outlets. All material is provided free of charge. In addition to publishing in-depth articles on new developments in the health care system and on national and local health care initiatives and debates, KHN also produces daily briefings. These newsletters provide readers with updates on how the media are covering U.S. health care policy.
KHN produces California Healthline (CHL), which covers developments in health policy and politics in California. CHL is an editorially independent news service of the California Health Care Foundation and partners with media outlets such as the Los Angeles Times, KPCC, KQED, The (San Jose) Mercury News, San Francisco Chronicle. Sacramento Bee and La Opinion.
KHN is seeking a reporting intern to generate ideas and write stories for KHN, CHL and their media partners. The intern will report to a KHN/CHL editor and be mentored by a KHN/CHL correspondent. Responsibilities will include identifying health care news and writing summaries of media coverage for the websites’ daily briefings. The intern will report to a KHN/CHL editor and be mentored by a KHN/CHL correspondent.
This summer internship position will be based in KFF’s Washington, DC, office or in Sacramento, CA, for a minimum of eight weeks.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Stay abreast of health policy news by searching, monitoring and curating various news sources;
- Work collaboratively with a team of editors and correspondents in conceiving and executing stories;
- Produce high-quality stories on deadline when necessary; and
- Assist KHN correspondents in story research and contribute to projects as needed.
Minimum Desired Expertise and Qualifications:
- Must be an undergraduate or graduate student;
- Available to work early mornings and flexible hours as news requires;
- Ability to juggle multiple duties and assignments;
- Demonstrated ability to work quickly and accurately on deadline;
- Strong news judgment and writing skills;
- Web journalism background and multimedia skills;
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail; and
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Experience and interest in health policy journalism;
- Familiarity with health policy and politics;
- Background in content curation;
- Experience with content management systems, such as WordPress; and
- Proficiency with HTML.
How to Apply:
To apply for this position please send your cover letter, resume and three writing samples as separate attachments to email@example.com. Please label your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title” and write “KHN Internship” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please. Equal Opportunity Employer.