Policy Analyst, Program on Medicare Policy
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
STATUS: Full-Time Term Position (18-month position)
PROGRAM AREA: Program on Medicare Policy
About the Foundation:
The Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, health journalism and communication, focusing on the major health care issues facing the U.S., as well as the U.S. role in global health policy. Kaiser serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public. The Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Program on Medicare Policy:
The Foundation’s Program on Medicare Policy conducts research and analysis on current Medicare policy issues, monitors key trends, and produces reports, fact sheets and other resources to inform policy discussions. Current efforts focus on a range of topics including: analysis of leading policy options associated with sustaining and strengthening Medicare for the future; Medicare payment and delivery system reforms; the current and future role of private plans in Medicare, including Medicare Advantage and Part D plans; out-of-pocket health care spending and related issues pertaining to economic and health security among people with Medicare; challenges facing high-need, low-income and other disadvantaged populations on Medicare, and physician participation and other access issues.
The Kaiser Family Foundation is seeking to hire a Policy Analyst to join the staff of its Program on Medicare Policy to work on a broad set of issues related to Medicare and the population it serves. The Analyst will be expected to analyze large datasets; create and edit charts, figures, tables, interactive web tools and other graphics that effectively communicate key data points and issues; assist in writing and editing reports, policy briefs, fact sheets, primers, and other Foundation publications; plan and coordinate events such as roundtable discussions and briefings; maintain a working knowledge of current research, activities, and trends in the field by reviewing newsletters, journals, and other publications; attend related meetings and events; and assist in communication strategies to disseminate the work produced and supported by the Foundation through social media and online communications tools.
This is a full-time, term position, funded for an 18-month period, and is based in the Foundation’s Washington, D.C. office, which is located downtown near Metro Center. Salary will be commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package
Minimum Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred, with a preference for a degree in public health, public policy, health policy, health statistics or related area. Two to four years of related experience preferred.
- Possess excellent writing skills and strong quantitative abilities, including experience in:
- Working with large datasets and programming in R, SAS, Stata, or other statistics software;
- Working with Microsoft PowerPoint to make charts, graphics and other visual aids that convey data effectively and creatively; and
- Using Microsoft Excel and working with data in Excel spreadsheets.
- Strong interest in Medicare and related health policy issues affecting older adults and people with disabilities, and knowledge and/or experience related to health policy, health economics, or a related field.
- Ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, and balance multiple priorities.
- Attention to detail, essential.
How to Apply:
If this position is of interest to you, please send resume, cover letter, contact information for three references, writing sample (no longer than five pages), and at least two samples of policy-relevant graphics you have designed (e.g., figures, charts, infographic, web interactives, etc.) to email@example.com with “Medicare Policy Analyst” in the subject line. Please attach the required documents in PDF format and label your documents “Last Name_First Name_ Document Title”. No phone inquiries, please.