Copy Editor, Kaiser Health News
LOCATION: Washington, D.C., Preferred
STATUS: Full-time; One-year term position with possibility of extension
PROGRAM AREA: Kaiser Health News
The Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit organization, is a leader in health policy analysis, polling and survey research, health journalism, and communication, dedicated to filling the need for trusted information on national health issues. The Foundation (KFF) serves as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.
Kaiser Health News (KHN) is an editorially independent program of KFF. With staff and freelance reporters, columnists, editors, photographers, web producers and videographers, KHN is committed to in-depth reporting on health policy news. KHN provides this coverage on khn.org as well as in partnership with other news organizations, including NPR, The Washington Post, USA Today, CNN, and a host of other media outlets. All material is provided free of charge.
In addition to publishing in-depth articles on new developments in the health care system and on national and local health care initiatives and debates, KHN also produces daily briefings. For more than a decade, these reports have provided readers with daily updates on how the media are covering U.S. health care policy.
This full-time one-year term position is preferably based in the Foundation’s Washington, D.C. office, which is located downtown near Metro Center. Competitive salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and includes an excellent benefits package.
The copy editor will review health policy news appearing on KHN and its broad network of media partners. He/she will work closely with newsroom colleagues (in Washington, D.C. and remotely) to prepare high-quality content for publication.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit health policy content for accuracy and clarity; monitor stories for fairness and tone;
- Employ best practices to ensure and maintain high quality content;
- Handle a variety of assignments, including breaking news, daily stories and long-term projects;
- Write display text, including SEO-friendly headlines, story summaries and captions;
- Review charts, graphics and other multimedia content;
- Balance speed and accuracy to meet news deadlines;
- Draft and edit copy for newsletters and social media; and
- Ensure content is consistent with both KHN and Associated Press style standards.
Minimum Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Five years’ experience copy-editing for a daily publication;
- Superior editing skills, strong news judgment and the ability to exercise both on deadline;
- Organized self-starter who can juggle both short-term and long-term assignments;
- A sharp eye for detail and an ability to be proactive and persistent when needed;
- Ability to write crisp, accurate and compelling headlines and to employ creativity and sensitivity when appropriate;
- Knowledge of Associated Press style;
- Strong fact-checking and grammar skills;
- Experience with content management systems at a news website or blog;
- Interest in politics and health care policy;
- Ability to work in a team-oriented newsroom environment; and
- Flexibility to work alternate hours as news events require.
- Demonstrated experience editing projects/series and multimedia content;
- Knowledge of health care policy and politics;
- Familiarity with WordPress;
- Web production experience, including proficiency with HTML; and
- Ability to use social media platforms to promote content.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com labeling your documents “Last Name_First Name_Document Title”. Please write “Copy Editor, KHN” in the email heading. No phone inquiries please. Equal Opportunity Employer.