Filling the Gaps: Dental Care, Coverage and Access
While the Affordable Care Act is expected to expand public and private coverage for children when it takes effect in 2014, significant gaps will remain, especially for low-income adults age 21 and older. This June 19, 2012, a public forum at the Foundation’s Washington, D.C. offices examined the gaps and disparities in dental coverage and care in the United States today; the health, social, and other consequences of these systemic deficiencies; and promising strategies for ensuring access to oral health care for all Americans. The Foundation also released four new and updated resources that present data and analyze issues related to oral health care, coverage and access in the U.S.
The forum featured a short segment of the Frontline/Center for Public Integrity documentary “Dollars and Dentists” followed by discussion and Q&A with a panel of experts, including:
- Marcia Brand, Deputy Administrator at the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration
- Terry Dickinson, DDS, Director of the Virginia Dental Association and Founder of Mission of Mercy
- Debony Hughes, DDS, Program Chief, Dental Health Program, Prince George’s County (Md.) Health Department
- Greg Nycz, Executive Director of the Family Health Center of Marshfield, Inc., in Marshfield, Wisc.
Diane Rowland, Executive Vice President of the Kaiser Family Foundation and Executive Director of the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured, chaired the forum and Jackie Judd, a Vice President at the Foundation, moderated the panel discussion.
also of interest
- Advancing Opportunities, Assessing Challenges: Key Themes from a Roundtable Discussion of Health Care and Health Equity in the South
- Profiles of Medicaid Outreach and Enrollment Strategies: Using Text Messaging to Reach and Enroll Uninsured Individuals into Medicaid and CHIP
- Obamacare and You: If You Are Uninsured...
- What is Medicaid's Impact on Access to Care, Health Outcomes, and Quality of Care? Setting the Record Straight on the Evidence